On Pet Damages

Font size :
Question: My tenant’s pet has damaged my rental property, what measures can I put in place to prevent this from happening again?

Answer: By Carolyn Parrella, Executive Manager, Terri Scheer Insurance

Allowing pets to be housed at your rental property is a major decision for a landlord and one that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

As a landlord, you retain complete control of what animals are allowed to be housed at the property and your decision can be made on a case-by-case basis.

Making your property pet-friendly can have many benefits and improve profitability of your investment.

But it can also be a serious risk to landlords.

Pet damage may include soiled carpet, claw marks on walls and damage to exterior fences.

If you’re thinking about making your rental property pet-friendly, there are a number of things to consider to minimise the impact of potential damage to the property.

Enforce a pet policy

If you allow pets at your property, it’s a good idea to establish a pet agreement between you and your tenant.

This is a good risk management strategy where you can outline specific guidelines you would like your tenant to follow.

For example, you may request that the pet is housed outside and for the tenant to keep the property free from animal odours, hair and pet waste.

You should also outline the consequences if a tenant fails to meet their obligations.

Regular property inspections

Property managers should closely monitor whether animals are present at the property by conducting regular property inspections.

If an animal is not present at the time of the inspection but it is suspected one may be housed at the property, look for fur on furniture and bedding, water bowls, urine stains on the carpet or evident animal odours in and around the home.

Neighbours are also usually more than happy to inform whether a tenant has a pet.

Modify the property

Making slight modifications to the property can help to lower maintenance for tenants and reduce the chances of pet damage.

Consider allowing pets at your property if you have a large enclosed backyard when the pet can run around.

Fencing should be a priority for outdoor pets.

Properties with tiles or floor boards are more suited to indoor pets as they are easier to clean than carpet.

Maintain a good relationship with your tenant

Maintaining a good relationship with your tenant is a must.

Open and transparent communication may encourage tenants to uphold their rental and pet agreement.

A tenant with a good relationship with their landlord or property manager may feel more comfortable raising any issues regarding housing pets, allowing it to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Obtain landlord insurance

Damage to a rental property caused by a domestic pet or an animal that is housed at the property is not always covered under landlord insurance policies.

Landlords should check with their insurer to see if they’re covered, before allowing pets at their property.

A good landlord insurance policy will also cover landlords for risks like malicious damage and accidental damage by a tenant, loss of rental income and potential legal liability.

Do your research and find a tailored landlord insurance policy that’s right for you.

For further information, visit www.terrischeer.com.au or call 1800 804 016. Media contact: Corporate Conversation, 08 8224 3535

It can be confusing to know whether to get a variable rate or fixed rate mortgage, and what features are important. That's why it's important to not only check the right rates, but make sure that you're getting the right features in your home loan. Get help choosing the right home loan

Carolyn Parrella

Carolyn Parrella joined Australia's leading landlord insurance specialists, Terri Scheer Insurance, in 2004 and was appointed Executive Manager in 2009.
Carolyn oversees all operations within business, which aims to protect landlords against the risks associated with owning a rental property. These include malicious damage by tenants, accidental damage, legal liability for occurrences on the property that cause death or bodily injury, and loss of rental income as a result of damage to a property or a tenant absconding.
As a South-Australian based national insurance firm, Terri Scheer Insurance is the only company in Australia to specialise solely in landlord insurance.
Carolyn also owns two investment properties.

For further information, visit www.terrischeer.com.au or call 1800 804 016. 

Mortgage News and Articles

How to tell when a housing market is cooling How to tell when a housing market is cooling

You need to check clearance rates, listings, and the price gap, among other factors Read more

Growing demand for green apartments in Sydney Growing demand for green apartments in Sydney Both owner-occupiers and investors favour eco-friendly buildings for their energy-saving features and reduced environmental footprint ... Read more

Are property investors as rich as they appear? Are property investors as rich as they appear? A multi-property portfolio doesn’t guarantee easy millions ... Read more

Be proactive about getting a better mortgage deal Be proactive about getting a better mortgage deal Apathy could be costing you a considerable amount of money over the lifespan of your loan ... Read more

More mortgage news and articles

Sponsored Links

Sunday, Sep 24, 2017
Top Featured Rates
Top Bank Rates

Get help choosing the right home loan

Let us help you find the right home loan for your needs.

Tell us a bit about your circumstances:
  • Purpose of mortgage
  • Household Income
  • How much do you want to borrow?
  • How much deposit do you have?
  • How much is your house worth?
  • How much do you still owe on your mortgage?
  • What type of mortgage do you have?

  • How much is your new home?
  • How much do you want to borrow?
  • How soon do you want a mortgage?
  • First name
  • Last name
  • Where do you live?
  • Phone number

Special Offers

Related Keywords