Southern Cross Credit Union (SCCU) is a customer-owned credit union that was formed in 1966 in the Tweed Valley of NSW. From its humble beginnings meeting the financial needs of Tweed Valley banana growers, it has expanded to become a multi-million dollar business providing financial services to customers across the Far North Coast of NSW and around Australia. Formerly known as the Tweed Byron Credit Union, it was renamed the Southern Cross Credit Union in 1997.
The credit union’s vision is to be the first choice for easy-to-understand banking. Its purpose is to help its customers, people and community realise their dreams. Meanwhile, its values are as follows:
- Customer Focused – “We get to know our customers by making your banking experience personal.”
- Community – “We connect and engage with our community.”
- Care – “We care for each other, our community and our environment.”
- Integrity – “We are professional, reliable and serious about the financial well-being of our customers.”
- Empowerment – “We empower our customers to take control of their banking.”
SCCU gives back to the community through the following measures:
- New Customer Donations – SCCU donates on your behalf when you become a customer
- Community Grants – Local organisations working on a project or event have an opportunity to access one of three $5,000 community grants
- Community Partnerships – Local organisations, groups and teams making a difference in the community receive funding of $1,000
- Community Rewards – Local groups and clubs who support SCCU receive financial rewards
Southern Cross Credit Union has a network of branches throughout northern NSW: Ballina, Byron Bay, Cabarita Beach, Kingscliff (head office), Lismore, Mullumbimby, Murwillumbah, and South Tweed Heads. You can meet with a staff in person at one of these branches. Alternatively, you can contact the credit union via a general customer phone line, an online enquiry form or email.
Southern Cross Credit Union provides financial services and products, such as personal and business loans, home loans, insurance products, credit cards, savings account, as well as financial planning and advice.
To apply for a Southern Cross Credit Union home loan, you will need to provide the following:
- Personal details for each applicant (if necessary)
- Contact details – including a valid email address
- Proof of salary (ie payslips) and evidence of other income (including government payments and rental income)
- Statements of any liabilities – including credit cards or other existing loans
- A copy of your council rates notice
- A copy of your driver's licence or passport
- Home loan statements (if you are refinancing)
- Personal insurance documents