Your Mortgage

Australia's Only
Independent Mortgage Website

7 TRILOGY FUNDING

Home 7 TRILOGY FUNDING
TRILOGY FUNDING
Established in 2003
Based in Canberra, ACT
Director/owner: David Thomas

You might not believe it, but sleepy Canberra is home to not one but two brokerages in this year’s Top 10. Trilogy Funding are a new entrant to the list, but a very well-established brokerage with a particular speciality in investor clients and an emphasis on performance management, director David Thomas explains.

Even a casual visitor to Trilogy Funding’s website will have no doubt what the brokerage is about: They’re ‘the property investor’s mortgage broker’, as their homepage proclaims in large orange type. There’s also a number of videos of Trilogy staff providing expert guidance on TV and a large number of downloadable e-books that teach clients about topics such as calculating equity and avoiding cross-collateralisation, as well as various financial calculators.

In fact only 70% of Trilogy’s clients are investors; the remaining 30% of owner-occupiers mainly come from friends and family referrals, according to Thomas. Nevertheless, the brokerage is set up with property investors at its centre, specialising in complex loans and loan restructuring, although Thomas notes that they’re happy to deal with a wide range of investor clients, from mum-and-dad investors to more serious portfolio-builders.

The brokerage’s specialisation in property investment has been painstakingly
built up over the years; what’s changed over the past 12 months is the introduction of rigorous performance management procedures. With a uniform and systematised sales process, they’re now able to collect statistics on each broker, closing ratios, new clients, converted clients, and the stage of each and every application. Not only does this help management, Thomas explains, it saves a huge amount of time in the application follow-up stage. Knowing where every application is helps brokers and support staff make fewer and more effective follow-up calls to clients and lenders.

Efficiency is also the watchword in Trilogy’s back office. In Canberra, they have three support staff for managing the brokerage and solving complicated cases. The majority of processing is actually done by a seven-strong offshore team, which is particularly cost-effective, Thomas says, allowing them to hire more brokers back in Canberra. However, they’re not planning to open any more offices with these extra brokers; they find Canberra’s relatively wealthy population provides a sufficient client base of potential investors.
Contact Information