Community First Credit Union is a financially sound and well managed financial institution which was formed in 1959 and ranks among New South Wales’ top credit unions. Responsible for over 75,000 of Australia’s credit union customers, it manages over $900 million in assets. It is owned and run by a community of shareholders which enables it to offer lower interest rates and fees than some of its corporate competitors.
Over the years, Community First has won several awards from the finance industry’s leading authorities including Money Magazine’s Best of the Best, Your Mortgage Magazine and Financial Review Smart Investor Blue Ribbon Awards.
Community First has many branches throughout New South Wales, which includes Bankstown, Belmont, Blacktown, Dee Why, Erina, Glendale, Lake Haven, Liverpool, Manly, Mount Druitt, Narellan, Penrith, Rouse Hill, and Warriewood.
Community First Credit Union offers a range of financial products including home loans, personal loans, car loans, transaction and savings accounts, credit cards and insurance products. Although Community First does not have an extensive range of home loans, it focuses on delivering competitive rates on the mortgages it offers.
Its mission is to help members achieve their financial goals by building relationships for mutual benefit. Meanwhile, its vision is outlined in the following pointers:
- “Community First is a member owned provider of financial services in the greater Sydney market”
- “We are devoted to 'people helping people' to achieve their financial goals”
- “We continue to challenge stereotypes to remain relevant to members and market needs”
- “We will help create better and more sustainable communities where we operate”
- “Our people deliver service standards superior than our competitors and 'a customer experience' that promotes why we are different”
- “We make profits to reinvest in more services, member and community benefits and fair fees”
- “We expect to grow as a viable community banking alternative”
- “We manage our business for the long term and intend to stay a mutual into perpetuity”
To be able to apply for a home loan with Community First Credit Union, you must:
- be over 18 years of age
- be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or hold a working Visa
- have a regular income
- not be bankrupt
- not have defaulted on any loans, credit cards, interest free finance or store cards in the last five years
- have held your current job more than three months
You will also need to become a member, which you can do online, by filling out an application and supplying photo ID for online verification, or by dropping into a branch. When applying, make sure you have these ready:
- Your personal details – including address, email address and phone number
- Financial details about your income and employment, assets, liabilities and debts
- Personal insurance documents
Should you require assistance with your home loan application, you can visit a branch for face-to-face advice, call the customer service centre or enquire online.