Three Top Tips in Getting Started:
Your Property Team should consist of:
- Property Accountant
– it’s very important to have the correct structures in place before you buy. My accountant is a key member of my team and well worth her weight in gold (that’s how much she charges me! Of course, accounting fees are tax deductible).
- Property Lawyer
– every property transaction is different and even the simplest contract should be looked over by someone with experience. My Lawyer is like a father to me and I thoroughly trust his judgment and advice.
- Finance Broker
– it is vital to use a broker with a strong understanding of construction finance. Establish a close relationship with your broker so she understands your individual situation and be able to fast track the sometimes tedious process of obtaining development finance.
– a local architect will have an understanding of the council requirements but always have you.
– a close working relationship with your builder is important, they need to be flexible and accuracy in their pricing with enough clout be offer economies of scale with their buying power of materials. Some builders may have existing designs for villas or duplexes that will save you money not having to engage an architect. You can usually make minor changes to these plans.
– He or she will have a strong knowledge of the local area and has often conducted surveys or subdivisions on land in the area.
– important to maximise tax rebates on completion of your development.
Project Manager/Development Manager
- if it’s your first development, using an experienced project manager will hold your hand through the process and you’ll learn what’s involved so you can then manage your next development. A good project manager will also bring discounted rates and other advantages to the project.
This is a nutshell of information on what to consider as you get started. Sometime is will seem a lot easier just to buy existing property but if you really want fast track your portfolio and create some equity along the way, then property development may be for you.
With interest rates at their lowest for more than 50 years, there are some great rates available. The best thing to do is to compare rates from all the lenders. Let us help take the leg work out of doing this - Compare Home Loans now
“I was bitten by the property bug, there was no turning back.”
Jo Chivers proves that women can indeed have it all- a career that you are passionate about and a family. While all of this sounds great, it does require hard work, dedication, perseverance and a bit of risk-taking.
Jo’s love of property development inspired her to leave her corporate career and pursue her true passion. After educating herself in property investing, she started building up her own property portfolio. After purchasing a few blue chip properties in Sydney, she soon realised how negatively geared they were and began researching outside of Sydney. She discovered a more affordable, large region of NSW where she completed her first property development. Soon her friends were asking her to find them sites and manage their developments.
She realised there was a need for an all encompassing project management service and her business Property Bloom™ was born. Ten years down the track, she has developed over 60 properties for clients, creating literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity and high end yields.