How to Protect my Property from Damage by Tenants

Font size :
Question: What measures can I put in place to protect my rental property from damage by tenants?
Answer: By Carolyn Parrella Executive Manager, Terri Scheer Insurance

Protecting your rental property from risks is one of the best investments landlords can make. Even the best tenant can cause accidental damage to a property. This can be extremely costly for landlords in terms of repairs. We have seen many instances where landlords could have been left tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket if they didn’t have adequate insurance cover in place. Therefore it’s important landlords put preventative measures in place to minimise loss of rental income as a result of damage by tenants.

The following tips may help investors to protect their property from damage.

Present an attractive property
Presenting a clean, tidy and well cared for property will set the standard for how it should be maintained. Tenants may be more inclined to take good care of a well presented property than one which is in a state of disrepair. They may also be more likely to pay their rent on time and stay in your property longer.

Appoint a property manager
A landlord has many responsibilities to their tenant and their rental property which requires a significant amount of time and commitment. These include conducting regular inspections, attending to maintenance requests, addressing potential liabilities and helping to ensure the property is well cared for.
If you appoint a property manager, they can carry out these responsibilities on your behalf.

This is particularly relevant if your property is in an area that is far from where you live, or you cannot commit sufficient time to manage the property yourself.
Property managers have experience in screening tenants and have access to databases that list tenants who have defaulted on rental payments, maliciously damaged a property or faced eviction. They can also liaise with previous landlords or property managers to gauge whether there were any issues in the past.

Conduct regular property inspections
Regular inspections can make it easier for landlords to quickly identify if and when any damage to the property has occurred, whether there are any maintenance issues that need attention or if there are any concerns that may pose a legal liability threat. Inspections are a good way to ensure the lease agreement is being met and the tenant is taking good care of the property. They should be conducted before the tenant enters the property, every three to four months while the tenant is occupying the property and after the tenant has vacated the property.

Tailored landlord insurance
Seeking a specialised form of landlord insurance can minimise the financial impact of damage caused by tenants. A good landlord insurance policy should cover landlords for both accidental and malicious damage. Accidental damage is caused by a sudden and unexpected event. This might include a broken window or spilling red wine on the carpet. It may also cover damage caused by small children but excludes gradual ‘wear and tear’ that has been sustained over time. Malicious damage occurs when a tenant causes damage to a property out of spite or ill will. This might include holes punched in the walls, doors that have been kicked in, intentional damage to flooring or arson.

In addition to cover for malicious and accidental damage, look for a policy that provides cover for loss of rent if the property cannot be tenanted while damage is repaired.

With interest rates at their lowest for more than 50 years, there are some great rates available. The best thing to do is to compare rates from all the lenders. Let us help take the leg work out of doing this - Compare Home Loans now

Carolyn Parrella

Carolyn Parrella joined Australia's leading landlord insurance specialists, Terri Scheer Insurance, in 2004 and was appointed Executive Manager in 2009.
Carolyn oversees all operations within business, which aims to protect landlords against the risks associated with owning a rental property. These include malicious damage by tenants, accidental damage, legal liability for occurrences on the property that cause death or bodily injury, and loss of rental income as a result of damage to a property or a tenant absconding.
As a South-Australian based national insurance firm, Terri Scheer Insurance is the only company in Australia to specialise solely in landlord insurance.
Carolyn also owns two investment properties.

For further information, visit or call 1800 804 016. 

Mortgage News and Articles

How to tell when a housing market is cooling How to tell when a housing market is cooling

You need to check clearance rates, listings, and the price gap, among other factors Read more

Growing demand for green apartments in Sydney Growing demand for green apartments in Sydney Both owner-occupiers and investors favour eco-friendly buildings for their energy-saving features and reduced environmental footprint ... Read more

Are property investors as rich as they appear? Are property investors as rich as they appear? A multi-property portfolio doesn’t guarantee easy millions ... Read more

Be proactive about getting a better mortgage deal Be proactive about getting a better mortgage deal Apathy could be costing you a considerable amount of money over the lifespan of your loan ... Read more

More mortgage news and articles

Sponsored Links

Monday, Sep 25, 2017
Top Featured Rates
Top Bank Rates

Get help choosing the right home loan

Let us help you find the right home loan for your needs.

Tell us a bit about your circumstances:
  • Purpose of mortgage
  • Household Income
  • How much do you want to borrow?
  • How much deposit do you have?
  • How much is your house worth?
  • How much do you still owe on your mortgage?
  • What type of mortgage do you have?

  • How much is your new home?
  • How much do you want to borrow?
  • How soon do you want a mortgage?
  • First name
  • Last name
  • Where do you live?
  • Phone number

Special Offers

Related Keywords